Use of other cores in server
Oskars Jurjāns
11-8-19
Problem:
When the client launches functions - Reports / Maintenance / Imports / Exports - CPU takes 100% on one core and Users are knock out of SERP (notification - Lost connection to server).
Is it possible to remake some function to other cores, so they do not disturb others Users? And are there recommendations for server optimization options?

More detailed info:

All Users of the company are connected to File Server by Remote Desktop Connection. Each has their own Desktop and IP address. And from this file server and SERP client they are connecting to SERP server.

They are using Standard ERP 8.3 2017-07-16 Build 83250800
They have two file servers for ~ 30 SERP Global Users. 10 Multi-user company and 5 Single-user company.
Settings in Optional Features - Parallel Reports - Multi Thread and Report Slots - 4

File server parameters:

LV FileServer

Core x 8

RAM 42 Gb.

HDD0 SSD 32 Gb

HDD1 SSD 285 Gb

HDD3 SSD 320 Gb

Network 10Ge (no limit)

LT FileServer

Core x 4

RAM 22 Gb.

HDD0 SSD 20 Gb

HDD1 SSD 60 Gb

HDD3 SSD 215 Gb

Network 10Ge (no limit)
WIN

Server for SERP:

VPS

resources for SERP:

4 CPU(s)

8Gb RAM

256 Gb SSD Disk

Network 10Ge (no limit)

Swich/router Cisco 4900M

Server parameters:

Host;

CPU 2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 10 CORES E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz

Total CORES - 20

384GB RAM 1600Mhz PC3-12800

Local SSD Storage 6Tb Raid 10

Samsung Enterprise SSD PM1643

Tomas J.
11-8-19
Hello Oskars,

So after running big export or report, SERVER goes to 100% CPU usage, yes?

For imports, that is so, because data is being written to database, and to protect it while being changed, this is how it works.

Maintenance - same, also depends which maintenances.

8.4, 8.5 :
Non-updating maintenances are on a separate thread than the main one, reports are on a separate thread too.

As hardware looks more than enough.

Answering to your question:
Is it possible to remake some function to other cores, so they do not disturb others Users?
Some maintenances and reports where moved away from main thread.

And are there recommendations for server optimization options?

You can try to set up properly System>>settingS>>optional features>> Performance tab, and select multithread.

Set accordingly to processor cores you have on SERP server machine. EG. if you have 8 cores in server, where the ERP server is installed, than set up accordingly:
Report slots - 4
Internet request threads - 2
HTTP - 2

Alternatively, you could try to use 32162000 MassiveCache- the speed of exporting/importing will increase, and In many cases speed of reporting and processing records will improve as well.

Regards,

Hansaworld support
Oskars Jurjāns
11-11-19
Created byTomas J.13:06 8 Nov 2019
Hello Oskars, So after running big export or report, SERVER goes to 100% CPU usage, yes? For imports, that is so, because data is being written to database, and to protect it while being changed, this is how it works. Maintenance - same, also depends w
Hi, Tomas!

Yes, when large exports or reports are run, the SERVER goes to 100% CPU usage (maybe 96% - 100%).

But does it have to be like this - when a big process is run in one company then Users can't work for other companies either?

Import that we use is suppose to import data from XML file. The file itself is quite big. Hansa reads data from file qiute fast, but the main problem is with converting it to XML. So main delay is when Hansa runs command ParseXMLArea. Sometimes it takes couple of hours before it finishes this command and we can start read XML data. So all this time system is frozen, users are being disconnected and it's impossible to do anything. Is there a way to solve this?

As I understood, the 8.5 version can solve some of proceses, yes?

Ok, I will try to do this because now I have this fields empty:
Internet request threads - 2
HTTP - 2

And I will try to use MassiveCache.

Regards,
Oskars Jurjāns
Tomas J.
11-12-19
hello,

But does it have to be like this - when a big process is run in one company then Users can't work for other companies either?

- Yes, because it's one HDB (one database). That's why it's said for imports, exports, to do when not interfering other people's work.

Hansa reads data from file qiute fast, but the main problem is with converting it to XML.

- what do you mean here, hansa reads xml, than converts back to xml? or some export? I suppose you use some halcust. You should relook at it for sure.

So main delay is when Hansa runs command ParseXMLArea.
- If you can repeat on 8.5 demo, with your xml data file and or halpatch, report a bug. we will look at it.

And yes, please test with 8.5 released version, multithreads enabled, and Massive cache.

Regards,

Tomas
Swati D.
12-3-19
Hi Oskars

Do you still need help with this? Or can we close the request?

Swati
HW Support
Oskars Jurjāns
12-4-19
Hi!

Yes. We try to use MassiveCache and fill settings as Tomas recommended. But it didn't help much. We made higher RAM from 8 to 32 Gb, but it didn't help either.
If You have solutions or suggestions to make this Server work faster and users would not interfere with each other, we would appreciate it.

Maybe there are suggestions on how to re-program huge import processes to work on other cores, so it do not interfere with users on other companies.

And maybe there is a faster way to import big xml files? Because, the main time is taken while this file is being opened.
Swati D.
12-5-19
Hi Oscar
Okay let me see if I can get you an answer
Swati
HW Support
Swati D.
12-5-19
Hi Oscar

One of the suggestions was for you to test 8.5 and report to us.

Were you able to do this?

Please advise what the results of that test were so we know whether or not to report a bug.

Also have you had a relook at the HAL code as suggested?

Swati
HW Support
David Delač
12-5-19
Hi Oscar,

Can you please list me Reports and Maintenances that are causing these problems for you but are not added with halcust? I would also kindly ask you to try and repeat these problems in 8.5 version and if repeatable - create a bug report.

Thank you!

Best Regards,
David D.
HansaWorld
Leave Comment
You can subscribe to notifications for this post by selecting the 'star' icon on the top right corner of the post.
Back to the list
Latest Posts
Afternoon, Some of our customers haven't changed their passwords for a while but they're not getting any password expiry message. If I copy their Standard ID into a new user on some test ...
17:22 25 Apr 2024
Andis Blicāns, Grasko
Hi, We have client using 8.5 2021-09-26 (build 85400383). The fields "Max Web Users" and "Max Sessions" ar blank. Server is closing itself almost every day. Message in hansa....
13:09 25 Apr 2024