Stock List backdated values are changing
Paul Timms
12-5-19
I have a customer on 8.5, who run their stock list at the end of each month into Excel. They do this in the first week of the following month, setting the date to the end of the last month.

If they now go back and re-run the Stock List at the end of a previous month, they are getting different values for the some items. The quantities always match so this is not due to some backdated stock records. This even happens if we set the date back to the very first day, when the only stock transactions were goods receipts for the opening stock. The Stock List on that date shows a different value for some items, compared to the value on the goods receipt.

This customer is running a FIFO cost model. I don't understand why the Stock List value is changing. Any ideas?
Swati D.
12-10-19
Hi Paul

I am trying to get you a reply

Swati 12.10
Pijus Juodis
12-11-19
Hi,

I cannot say precisely why does the Stock List give different values, but have you tried comparing it to Item History report?
Does it show any differences there?

Pijus
Aldevinas Katkus
5-24-22
Looks like we have the same problem.
tested with version 2022-04-16 and 2021-04-18.
If we run a detailed Stock List report for the current day we get different amounts and "stock in" records which the stock balance consists of for some items in comparison to the same report for the yesterday.
Item History report shows the last "event" a month ago, so no actions were done with that item todays and yesterday.
We tried to do Item status recalculation, but it didn't help.
Any ideas?

Customer used to rebuild stock regularly. Could it be the reason?
Also I can see some Stock depreciations in the Item History register have an empty "Source" field, which should not be empty.
Aldevinas Katkus
5-25-22
It may be just a coincidence, but problematic item history had a negative qty for some day, e.g., stock movement "from the future" was in August, but item received into the stock in September.
Kaido Schmidt
5-25-22
Does the customer have stock, settings, stock settings - "Chronology in Stock" turned on "Per Location"?

Also, system, setting, locking has a checkbox to prevent users from future dating any stock updating records that must be ticked - because if you future date anything stock updating, posting anything to today's date is back dating :)

If it is "None" then users can backdate stock transactions and likely they have backdated new stock updating transactions (or OKed any not OKed stock updating transactions) after running stock list report to excel.

I have all my customers with Chronology checking set Per Location, future postings are blocked, and their stock list matches with NL every da (except productions with quantities more than 3 decimals still cause some small rounding differences at times which I haven't been able to replicate and fix :))
Aldevinas Katkus
6-9-22
Created byKaido Schmidt21:02 25 May 2022
Does the customer have stock, settings, stock settings - "Chronology in Stock" turned on "Per Location"? Also, system, setting, locking has a checkbox to prevent users from future dating any stock updating records that must be ticked - because if you fut
Turning on Chronology in Stock is not an option for the client.
I guess the problem is customer using Rebuild stock maintenance, even though we warned them of unpredictable consequences.
Rebuild Stock maintenance has been changed somewhere a year ago an used to get a different stock results after running. If I remember it right in November 2021 it has been fixed and rebuilding stock does not result in a different stock. This has been confirmed by another our client.
The client ran the Rebuild stock maintenance in the last year or so and it resulted in such consequences.

Kaido Schmidt
6-10-22
Created byAldevinas Katkus16:05 9 Jun 2022
Turning on Chronology in Stock is not an option for the client. I guess the problem is customer using Rebuild stock maintenance, even though we warned them of unpredictable consequences. Rebuild Stock maintenance has been changed somewhere a year ago an u
Did you run rebuild stock wtih both checkboxes ticked? If yes, the maitneancne should OK records in the same order they were oked by the users

Are you not comparing stock list report with blank date and with yesterday's date before rebuild stock and after? to confirm if the maintenance works as you expect? :)
Aldevinas Katkus
6-13-22
The client runs rebuilding stock with the first checkbox ticked only.
8.5 2021-11-02 did not broke Stock List report for other our client with both checkboxes ticked and the first one ticked only.
Some version from 2021-09-xx had problems with that.
Kaido Schmidt
6-14-22
Created byAldevinas Katkus14:19 13 Jun 2022
The client runs rebuilding stock with the first checkbox ticked only. 8.5 2021-11-02 did not broke Stock List report for other our client with both checkboxes ticked and the first one ticked only. Some version from 2021-09-xx had problems with that.
If you do not tick the second box in maintenance specify window, then it OKes the stock updating records in date order, and within each date it first OKes Productions, Goods Receipts, Returned Goods, Returned Goods to Supplier, Stock Depreciations, Deliveries, Stock Revaluations, Stock Movements, Work Sheets

regardless if your stock valuation method is configured as FIFO or Weighted Average and if you do NOT have chronology turned on, and users have been backdating stock updating records, rebuild stock with only first box ticked will most certainly change values in stock list reports, because it is recalculating the order the items go out of stock
Leave Comment
You can subscribe to notifications for this post by selecting the 'star' icon on the top right corner of the post.
Back to the list
Latest Posts
Andis Blicāns, Grasko
Hi, We have client using 8.5 2021-09-26 (build 85400383). The fields "Max Web Users" and "Max Sessions" ar blank. Server is closing itself almost every day. Message in hansa....
15:52 26 Apr 2024
Afternoon, Some of our customers haven't changed their passwords for a while but they're not getting any password expiry message. If I copy their Standard ID into a new user on some test ...
17:22 25 Apr 2024