Exporting old records
Paul Timms
4-29-22
Operating system: macOS
We have customers whose text backups are taking longer and longer, to the point where it is finishing just when they start work in the morning. The log says that "Exporting old records" takes several hours. What are these old records and how can they be removed/reduced?
Gastón Salomone
4-30-22
Hi Paul,

The answer is Record History Data, depends on each record that this feature is enabled, also on the frequency that the record is updated, the count of records, and the time it was enabled. Consider a copy of the record multiplied by all of the previous factors and you will have a clue.

The solution is to analyze with one is the primary cause, disabled it or check when this problem started and If it was some hal code that is producing this problem.

Regards

Sanjay Parbhoo
5-3-22
Created byGastón Salomone21:39 30 Apr 2022
Hi Paul, The answer is Record History Data, depends on each record that this feature is enabled, also on the frequency that the record is updated, the count of records, and the time it was enabled. Consider a copy of the record multiplied by all of the
We had something similar when record history was activated for deliveries. There was a bug that updated the available quantity on all deliveries when a good receipt was oked. This caused the database and the text backups to be very big.

The solution was to empty RHistVc manually and of course fix the bug. This unfortunately removes all history so it's a very drastic solution.
Paul Timms
5-4-22
I've written a maintenance that deletes record history up to a specified date, and can also only remove system-generated history records i.e. where a user has not manually created or updated a record. For this particular customer, it was caused by thousands of activities being created and updated by a nightly maintenance, so by removing these it has reduced the database size by 35Gb.
Piotr Wycichowski
5-6-22
Created byPaul Timms11:58 4 May 2022
I've written a maintenance that deletes record history up to a specified date, and can also only remove system-generated history records i.e. where a user has not manually created or updated a record. For this particular customer, it was caused by thousan
Hi Paul,

this sounds great. Is this tool somehow public? May I try to use it in the same problem, you described?

/Piotr W.
SoftIQ Technologies Ltd.
3-12-24
Hello,

I have a client with the same issue where the backup never completes it does export of RHistVc then it begins exporting old records..would you kindly advice how to delete the RHistVc I have tried a parameters file with the following commands but it does not work:

--drop-RHistVc
--i-know-this-is-dangerous
--verbosity=debug-detailed

Regards,
John.
Tendai Mataranyika
3-13-24
Created bySoftIQ Technologies Ltd.07:01 12 Mar 2024
Hello, I have a client with the same issue where the backup never completes it does export of RHistVc then it begins exporting old records..would you kindly advice how to delete the RHistVc I have tried a parameters file with the following commands but
Use Data Purge: Fist go to Database Maintenance >> Registers >> Data Purge >> Create New Data Purge >> Operations Menu >> Refill Affected Registers. In the matrix you will see that TRVc and ItemHistVc will be added automatically on each row respectively. You can delete the TRVc row to leave only Item History. On Date of Purging, specify the very first financial year end when you started using the system. Click Save. Now you go to Database Maintenance >> Routines >> Maintenance >> Data Purge. On Archive, select the Data Purge Record you created in Data Purge Register.

The Purge will create balances brought forward for every account and for ever item on the account and in the item history. It is advisable to do the purging in Yearblock to allow the user to still be able to print report at year-end starting with the first financial year, then you do the second and so on.

For the purge to be effected, you must do an export and import.

Please take note that you must create an HDB copy before doing a data purge.

after the purge and after export import, please make sure that the Trial Balance of the HDB Copy matches the new Trial Balance after the purge. And also your stock list in the copy must match stock list in the new system after the purge.
Leave Comment
You can subscribe to notifications for this post by selecting the 'star' icon on the top right corner of the post.
Back to the list
Latest Posts
Hello, Kindly please report the bug so that we can further investigate and resolve it. Thank you. Best regards, Benjamin...
11:31 3 May 2024
Hi, No changes should have been made that would increase client's HDB file. Please try to delete HANSA.HDB from client folder and reconnect to server and check if it will grow to 30MB again. ...
10:14 30 Apr 2024